Saturday, August 6, 2011

We've Been Busy

We have a sewer leak under our house. At first Justin started complaining that his room was stinky. I went in his room and said "Tyler's (my little brother) room always smelt like this. It is a normal boy room smell." Justin and Charlie looked at me like I was crazy, but Tyler's room really did smell the same way. His feet are just wrong. Then a while later he started to get little sewer flies. Well, Tyler never had flies. We called the plumber.














They couldn't find the exact spot of the crack, but thought they knew about where it was. We would have to tear out our bathroom, so we decided to make the layout more functional. Here is the before. (Yes, it's fugly and original to the house. It was next on our remodel list anyway.)













The kids were excited to see us start a new project. Charlie and I started breaking through the concrete and digging down to the sewer line. The more we dug the more leaking we found. Then he had a business trip and left for a few days. I kept digging so the plumber could start fixing. We dug up our bathroom, the closet, the hallway, and finally the kitchen. Then they found more leaks under Justin's room, so now we are digging out and through the front yard. When Charlie was gone, I had been swinging a sledge hammer and shovel for hours. I sat down and cried. This was more than I had bargained for when I committed to do some of the work myself. After some much needed sleep and food it didn't seem so bad. Then I fell in one of the holes I had dug. I was trying to clean some walls and forgot about the gaping hole in my kitchen floor. I scraped up my leg and fell on my back. My kids ran to me and Justin yelled in a panicked voice "call 911!" That almost made me smile.. almost. Let's just say it has been a tough week.

No comments: