Friday, January 28, 2011

Could They REALLY Be Listening?

I am always telling my kids that our family is a team, and we have to take care of each other. We work together. We watch out for each other and defend each other. I say it all the time. Last month Mia went to a birthday party and came home really upset. She said she told the kids that Justin liked Hannah Montana. Then a little girl that lives down the street from us, who loves Justin, and loves to tease him, asked for everyone to vote whether or not they thought Justin was a girl. I don't think I've ever seen Mia this angry. She told the girl that she wasn't nice. Then Mia emphatically told me that she doesn't like that girl. I tried to explain that the girl was kidding and she really likes Justin. Mia didn't care and said "she can't talk about my brother like that."

Mia told me that a boy in kindergarten throws dry cereal at her and her friends at lunch sometimes. I asked if she told on him and she said no. I said if it keeps happening it would be okay for her to tell on him. Then she said the boy is her friend's brother and she doesn't want to tell on him. She just wants to ignore him. Okay, I understand that. She seems so young to understand complex situations like that. Or maybe its not really that complex.

No comments: