Saturday, December 5, 2009

Emma's Head Bop

Thursday Emma told me that she likes to hang upside down from the monkey bars at school. She is afraid that she will fall, land on her head and die. Then Friday I get a call from the school saying Emma has fallen off the monkey bars and I need to come pick her up because she is really upset and won't calm down. I get to the school and Emma is sitting on the bed. The nurse tells me that Emma is okay, but is just really upset. I explain Emma's fear to the nurse as Emma cries. The nurse tells me that she has conducted a neurological exam. I suppress a smile and nod. The neurological exam consisted of looking at Emma's pupils and watching her take a drink of water. Yes, very sophisticated.
Emma can't remember how or where she got hurt. I think that is weird, but not too much so. Then she asks for her backpack. She can't remember if she had her snack at recess. She looks in her lunch pail and says she hadn't eaten anything. A minute later she wants to look in her lunch pail because she isn't sure if she had her snack at recess. She looks in her lunch pail and says she hadn't eaten anything. A few minutes later she does it again. I start to freak out. A few minutes later she asks how her backpack got in the car. Then she repeatedly tells me that her back hurts on one side. I tell her she just told me that and she can't remember. I call the doctor and am told to take her to the ER. Do I know where it is? Why, yes I do, unfortunately.
Emma has a concussion and her short term memory has begun to come back. One funny-ish note, the ER doctor was the same doctor from when I took Mia this summer for cutting her finger. He didn't remember me, but tells me he doesn't let his kids go on the monkey bars. Really?! What a shock from the guy who doesn't let his kid go in the ocean or near a pool.

2 comments:

D said...

And as if he has control over whether his kids go on the monkey bars at school. How ridiculous. His poor kid is gonna need therapy for all the things he/she couldn't do.

I'm glad Emma is doing better- that must have been so scary!

Ashley said...

Poor Emma. I am glad she is alright now.